For those who have had radiation and chemotherapy, oral mucositis is a common complication. It can result in a lowered quality of life for the patient along with an increased risk for infections. It is is most common in those who are treated for neck and head cancer.
Chemoradiation patients with oral mucositis may have any of the following symptoms:
- Red, irritated or inflamed mouth and gums
- Shiny mouth and gums
- Blood or sores in the mouth, gums or tongue
- An increased sense of soreness/ pain in the mouth or throat
- Struggle with swallowing, eating or talking
- White or discolored patches/ pus in the mouth or on the tongue
- Thick saliva and mucus buildup
For those who are experiencing such painful and debilitating conditions, Dr. Prabha Raju at Tender Dental Care can provide low-level laser treatment (LLLT) in Burton, Michigan. It has been proven to lessen the pain, severity and occurrence of oral mucositis. LLLT is also a non-invasive, simple and atraumatic procedure, so patients can feel more relaxed while visiting our dentist.
As for paying for the procedure, the reimbursement for LLLT is little to none. If you would like to learn more about this effective and beneficial service, please call 8107153368. We look forward to improving our patients’ quality of life.